A glass shower stall is a common and welcome fixture in many bathrooms. It can add a touch of elegance with the right design. It also keeps the water and humidity contained in one area. This goes a long way in preventing accidents from happening.
Since a glass shower is always exposed to moisture, mineral deposits and grime will build up. It’s not an unusual situation as most bathroom fixtures develop this as well. But stained or streaked glass shower doors look dirty. They also detract from your bathroom’s design.
Cleaning glass isn’t difficult, especially when you have the right tools. While there’s a wide array of products to choose from, you can also make a good glass cleaner for shower stalls at home.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Glass Cleaners
You have to put a lot of thought into it when picking a cleaning solution. The right mix of factors can make the job easier and go faster. Here’s what you should consider:
- Active Ingredients: They’re either natural or chemical. These components help break down soap scum, mineral residue, and dirt. The right ingredient lets you clean glass and other surfaces with minimal scrubbing. Some of the common ingredients in cleaning solutions are ammonia and oxygen bleach.
- Form and Application: How you apply the solution also impacts the cleaning time. Foam cleaners and liquid sprays have a longer contact period with the glass. Both forms are versatile. They’re used in both light cleaning and heavy-duty disinfecting. You can immediately apply them on the surface or on a cloth.
- Scent: Many consumers choose a product based on their scent. A pleasant smelling cleaning mix makes the job easier to manage. It also makes the bathroom smell and feel cleaner. But there are cleaning ingredients with a distinct and strong odor. Some even contain chemicals that generate fumes. You should make sure you have good ventilation before using them.
Top Glass Cleaners for Showers
There are many types of glass cleaners you can use for house cleaning. You can buy great ones at the grocery store or home centers. But you can also make your own glass cleaning solutions. Here are some of the best cleaners you can use for glass showers:
- Baking Soda
Nearly every home should have baking soda in its cabinets. It’s one of the main ingredients in many baking recipes. It’s also used for cleaning many surfaces. Making a baking soda solution is simple as pie. You can start by combining half a cup of baking soda with half a cup of water. Mix them until they create a thick paste. Use a clean microfiber cloth to apply the paste to the glass shower door. Clean it off with white vinegar. You can also use the paste to clean tiles but skip the vinegar part.
- Distilled Vinegar
White vinegar is a staple in many households. It gives certain dishes a tangy taste. It’s also one of the best cleaning solutions around. You can use distilled white vinegar to remove stains and mineral deposits.
You can mix this vinegar with liquid dishwashing soap. Place both ingredients in a spray bottle and shake to mix. Spray the solution on the glass door and wipe it off with a damp sponge. You can also use a microfiber cloth. The vinegar will get rid of the residue while the soap will handle the oily stains.
You can also mix white vinegar with distilled water. Make a 1:3 vinegar to water solution. Spray the mixture on a glass surface then rinse it with warm water. Finish by wiping off the surface with a paper towel or soft cloth.
- Lemon and Water Mix
Lemons have proven to be an effective cleaning tool. The fruit’s citric acid does wonders when used to clean glass surfaces. Lemon juice can kill germs and get rid of stains. It also makes your bathroom smell good.
You need the juice of two to three lemons to make this cleaning solution. Mix four tablespoons of lemon juice with enough distilled water. Put the lemon water cleanser in a spray bottle. Shake it to mix it up. Spray it on the shower doors. Wait for around five minutes then wipe it off using a microfiber cloth. You can do this after every shower to ensure the area remains spotless.
- Ammonia Solution
Ammonia is another option to consider. It is a very effective cleaning agent, but it’s corrosive. You should always handle it with care. The proper ammonia cleaning solution ratio is 1:3. Mix one part ammonia with three parts water. Pour the solution into a spray bottle. Spray the glass with the solution. Wait a few minutes then scrub off the scum with a brush. Rinse with water. Dry off the surface with a clean cloth.
You must take precautions before using this chemical. It doesn’t matter if you’re a homeowner or a professional office cleaning staff.
- Open all available ventilation in the area. This includes the doors, windows, and ventilation shafts.
- Wear rubber gloves to prevent your hands from coming in contact with the solution. You can also wear safety goggles if you prefer.
- Put on a mask so you won’t inhale the gas in a direct way. Never mix ammonia with bleach. It will create toxic vapors.
Cleaning Done Right
There is more to cleaning the office or home than meets the eye and Helping Hands Cleaning Services knows how to do it. We are one of the top cleaning services in the country. Our professional cleaning team has the training to ensure your space remains spotless. We offer janitorial and move-in move-out cleaning services. We also clean homes, offices, and commercial establishments. You can call us at (630) 530-1324 or drop us a line at info@Hhcleans.com.