Wood has always been a popular material. The United States and most of Europe have been using it for centuries. Many homeowners prefer it even with the development of advanced materials like steel.
People love wood for a variety of reasons. It’s very affordable and doesn’t harm the environment. It’s very easy to use and repair. Wood also has better insulating properties than aluminum, glass, and other construction materials. It’s very flexible and is often used in many things. Wood is also very beautiful.
There’s one thing that can detract from the beauty of wood, and that’s a stain. One of the most common wood stains is caused by placing drinks on a wooden table without using a coaster. Condensation pools along the bottom of the glass causing a stain to occur. Food spills and pen marks can also cause stains. Wood floors are prone to having stains too, especially in high-traffic areas. It’s often where spills and other accidents are high.
If you are wondering how to remove a stain from wood you can ask a company like Helping Hands Cleaning Services to take care of it. Or if you prefer, you can try to remove it yourself. Here’s how:
Washing Away Water Stains
There’s nothing more annoying than seeing a white ring on your coffee table. It’s a good thing that you can try different methods to remove water stains. You can do the following:
- Apply a dab of toothpaste on a soft cloth. Rub it onto the white water stain. Wipe it clean with a damp cloth. Let it dry and then apply furniture polish. It’s best to use the non-gel kind of toothpaste for this kind of stain.
- Another method is to spread a little petroleum jelly on the water stain. Leave it overnight. Wipe it off in the morning using a clean cloth. You should have no problems removing the stain.
- You can also make a paste using water and baking soda. The ratio should be half and half. Rub the paste on the stain. Use a circular motion. Keep rubbing until the stain disappears. Wipe off the mixture.
Get Rid of Heat Stains
Heat stains are also a common problem with wood furniture. Letting a hot pot sit on the table can result in a white discoloration. Here’s what you should do:
- Create a mixture using baking soda and non-gel toothpaste. Mix the two into a paste. Rub it into the wood using a clean cloth. Keep rubbing until it feels warm.
- Wipe it clean with another clean but damp cloth. Dry it as fast as you can.
- Repeat the process several times until the mark is gone.
- Apply oil or furniture polish to get the wood back to its pristine state.
Work on Dark Stains
You might also notice a black stain on your wood floors or furniture. It’s possible that this is a water stain that has penetrated the wood. Water or steam leaves white rings on the surface of the wood. Dark stains can happen if water seeps through the wood. Getting the stain out is difficult, but you can do it. There are two ways to go about this:
- Use 100-grit sandpaper to sand off the black stain. You should also feather the area with sandpaper. This will help keep the color constant. Don’t scrub the sandpaper too hard on the wood. You should also be mindful of the direction you’re sanding and be sure to follow the grain. Once the stain is gone, apply several coats of varnish. Feather the edges using a very fine steel wheel. It will help the affected area to blend with the wood. Apply good quality wood polish afterward.
- Put on gloves. Place some bleach in a bowl and dip a brush in it. Apply it to the stained area. Let it sit for a few hours. This will allow the stain to fade back to the wood’s original color. Wipe off the bleach using a damp sponge. Apply vinegar to the wood to neutralize it. It will also prevent it from becoming lighter. Let the wood dry. Apply a coat of wood polish afterward.
Get Rid of Pen Marks
It might seem strange but wood is also prone to pen marks. Nearly every mother has had that moment of panic when she discovers that her toddler has been using the furniture as an art canvas. There’s no need to panic though. Dealing with pen marks is easy. Here’s what to do:
- Add a small amount of dishwashing soap to a clean, damp cloth. Swipe it over the pen marks. Most children’s coloring pens are washable. If you’re lucky you will only need a simple wipe down.
- You can try isopropyl alcohol on stubborn stains. Use an old but clean cloth to rub the alcohol onto the stain. Don’t forget to wear gloves for protection. Wash the area with a soapy cloth once you get the stain out. Dry the spot.
- You can also try using a hand sanitizer if you have one. These often have high quantities of isopropyl alcohol in their ingredients.
Bring Your Space Back to Its Former Glory
Dust, dirt, and stain can take the shine out of a beautiful space. Helping Hands Cleaning Services ensures your home is sparkling clean and lovely. You can rely on us to clean your office or home. We offer affordable cleaning services for any space. We do home and office cleaning. Our hardworking and skilled cleaners can also ensure moving into a new place is not a hassle. Your safety is always guaranteed with our Covid 19 coronavirus sanitizing. We are happy to help you with the schedule you prefer. You can reach us at (630) 530-1324 or drop us a line at info@Hhcleans.com.