Everyone, at some point, has lamented, “I wish I had more closet space!” Yet, more often than not, it’s not just about space but how we utilize it. Our wardrobes are brimming with a myriad of fashion choices — from those jeans you haven’t slipped into in ages to a mishmash of accessories. Pair that with some not-so-great storage tactics, and voila, a perpetually chaotic closet.
Luckily, there are reliable housekeeping experts around Western Springs that can help you get the mess under control and reorganize your closet appropriately. Let’s see how they do it!
How often should you clean your closet?
Ever feel the itch to spruce things up come spring, new year, or right before you add another candle to your birthday cake? Well, annual closet cleanouts are your ticket to keeping things tidy and fresh. In the words of an old saying, “Rocked that outfit in the past year? Keep it. Has it been collecting dust? Maybe it’s time to pass it on or make a few bucks selling it.”
Now, if you’re wondering whether it’s time for a closet detox, here are some telltale signs:
- Seeing double? Or even triple? Might be time to part ways with some.
- Tried it on and it’s giving you the squeeze or hanging loose?
- Fishing out clothes that look like they’ve seen better days? Think stains, tears, or faded colors.
- Struggling to shut that closet door?
- Resorting to piles or scouting for extra storage because your clothes seem to be plotting a wardrobe takeover?
If any of these sound like you, it might be decluttering time!
How do you clean your closet step by step?
Here are some easy-to-follow steps to help you out with the process.
- Remove all your clothes from the closet. You can either dump them on the bed or lay a clean sheet on the floor beforehand.
- Separate your dirty laundry. If you’re packing clothes at the end of the season, it is crucial that they have not been worn at all since wash day so that they do not begin to smell.
- Sweep the sides of the closet first. This could be done using a mop or a rag dipped in an appropriate cleaning solution according to the material of your closet.
- Wipe off the shelves next so that any dust that falls to the ground can be cleaned later (make sure to reach all the corners of the shelves).
- We suggest that you lay down some sort of parchment paper on the base of the shelves for easier cleaning next time as it can just be removed and replaced.
- At the end, sweep off the floor with the mop.
- Utilize the opportunity to throw out or donate what you don’t need, fold the rest of your clothes, and hang the ones used frequently.
- Pack away the spring clothing.
- Lastly, wipe the dust off the closet floor to give off a clean look and bring back its shine.
Need help with your closet? Contact a housekeeping professional today!
Need a weekly spruce-up or a thorough monthly overhaul? Look no further! Our dedicated team doesn’t just clean; they bring spaces to life with their high-quality tools and savvy techniques – and yes, they even use cotton swabs to get into those tricky spots. It’s all about the details.